Focused Traffic = Targeted Leads
A recent post discussed the importance of doing proper research on your buyer personas. It is the first (and very important) step in a successful inbound marketing campaign. But how do you take that research and apply it to your website so you can attract the focused traffic you've determined is made up of your best customers?
Content mapping is the next (very important) step in the process. Take your buyer personas and the keyword research and begin to map out content that aligns with where those personas are in the sales funnel (we call this the "buyer's journey").
There are 3 phases:
- Awareness - This is the recognition of some type of problem, pain point or need. This is when your target audience starts to do keyword searches in Google, ask others in their social circles how they facilitate, etc.
- Consideration - The buyer more than likely has given a name to the problem and has done a decent amount of searching. Although not ready to buy yet, the potential customer might be appreciative of deeper information that offers guidance to resolution.
- Decision - Now the persona is ready to buy and the type of research being done includes comparisons of companies, looking at reviews, etc.
(This is a VERY KEY point.) It's not until the decision phase that your brand or company name is even important. The first two phases are more exploratory in nature. Remarkable content is solution-based, not product-based. Remarkable content isn’t about YOUR business or YOUR product, it’s about your potential customers: the problems they’re having and the answers they’re searching for.
Is there value in the (potential) customer getting that information on your site? ABSOLUTELY! That's the whole point.
You have to have the right content to be found in the "Awareness" stage.
Calls To Action
Once you understand what keywords your best customers are typing in to find information about problems YOUR company ultimately has solutions to, you have the basis for your content strategy. It takes careful planning and execution (i.e. project management) to facilitate. But just having that right content isn't enough. NOW you guide that persona to the type of content that aligns with the "Consideration" phase. Maybe it's an ebook on a deeper topic. Maybe it's a video. Maybe it's a slideshow. Whatever the content is:
- Put an image of that content prominently on the page with the "awareness" content
- Include a short description
- Entice the visitor who is (hopefully) finding value on your website to CLICK on the content offer (this is the "call to action")
IF the content offer is valuable, the visitor will be willing to provide information (email address, perhaps a first or last name) in order to access the content.
Now you have a Targeted Lead
Sounds simple, doesn't it? It's not.
How do you know you have the right content?
You don't until you test it.
IF your buyer persona research is solid .... and
IF the content provided helps answer the buyer persona's questions .... and
IF your site is ranking on Google .... and
IF your other traffic strategies are aligned ....
THEN you'll begin to generate focused traffic.
Plan > Create > Distribute > Analyze (Repeat)
This is the answer to the question, "How do I convert leads for a small to medium-sized business?". The same applies to companies of any size, but it's incrementally important as the company gets smaller. There is a finite amount of resources and funds to market your website and to ultimately translate that investment into a sustainable and profitable business model.
Web Design + Inbound Marketing = Leads
The Weyer Web Works' bias is this:
"If your website isn't converting to meet your business goals, then it's not serving its intended purpose. Your website really should be your best salesperson and the investment in your website should be similar to that of your best salesperson."
Is Your Website Converting Leads?
Download our free ebook: "25 Website Must Haves". It has a LOT of good information that will be of value to you as you figure out the best direction to go with your website. Click on the cover below to get your copy today.